Which is better – prevention of pests, or dealing with them later?
Why? – Saves money, time, and plants do not have to be thrown away.
Why can’t we just use chemicals on pests?
- Chemicals used to remove pests will taint the plants.
What are three techniques to prevent pests from getting in to indoor farms?
- Do not bring things from outdoors into the farming area.
- Have a disinfectant mat just outside the door of the farm to clean shoes.
- Do not bring things from the sub-garden into the Gym farm.
What are 4 kinds of common pest?
- Thrips – are minute (most are 1 mm long or less), slender insects with fringed wings and unique asymmetrical mouthparts. Different thrips species feed mostly on plants by puncturing and sucking up the contents, although a few are predators.
- Fungus gnat – are small, dark, short-lived gnats that feed on fungi, decaying plant material, or plant roots, helping in the decomposition of organic matter.
- Aphids – also known as plant lice and in Britain and the Commonwealth as greenflies, blackflies, or whiteflies (not to be confused with “jumping plant lice” or true whiteflies), are small sap-sucking insects
- Spider mites – generally live on the undersides of leaves of plants, where they may spin protective silk webs, and they can cause damage by puncturing the plant cells to feed
What are 3 ways to deal with pests?
- Beneficial bugs – lady bugs will eat many of the bad pests.
- Neem oil – is derived from the neem plant and destroys pests by not allowing them to lay eggs.
- Organic pest spray – such as garlic water, works well to decrease pest activity.